Wednesday, January 7, 2015

So, What About Joseph?

Our family is reading through the New Testament this year.  I have been reading through the Bible each year, but it was getting boring.  Sorry.  Just being honest.  I had read the same thing over and over and over again.  This year is different.  I prayed for new eyes to see what I haven't yet seen, and God has answered that plea.  So, while reading Matthew 1 and 2, I noticed someone that I hadn't paid much attention to before.  Joseph.  Mary gets a lot of attention around Christmas, but I don't often hear much mentioned concerning Joseph.  I am completely undone by the obedience of Joseph (and the Magi).  So many characters in God's story helped fulfill His will due to their obedience.  I read 4 instances in which God spoke directly to Joseph, via an angel through dreams.  Joseph was so in tune with His Creator that he immediately obeyed all 4 times. There is no narrative recording that he questioned the dream or the message.  Me?  I would have said, "Did I seriously dream that??", "It was just a dream," or "What in the world??".  Not Joseph.  We find narrative recorded for both Zechariah and Mary when they are confronted IN PERSON by an angel.  In fact, the Magi were also warned in a dream not to return to Herod, and they obeyed.  I am chastened by their obedience and marvel at the power of dreams.  I long for God to visit me a time or two in a dream, though I'm thankful to simply have his Word.  Even more, I long for the unwavering confidence in my God that leads to faithful obedience.  So, I would like to say that I desire for God to give me a "Joseph" heart!  A "Magi" heart!  A heart so in tune with Him, and a heart that always searches for him until he may be found (Proverbs 2:5).  He wants to be found!  He wants us to search for him as for hidden treasure (Proverbs 2).  Mary displayed humble obedience to be sure.  As did Joseph.  No wonder (and doesn't it all make sense now?) he was chosen to surrogate father the Savior of the world.  Obedience is the 1st step in living out this radical faith--not a slavish obedience to man-made, legalistic rules, but an obedience to the Living Word revealed to us in Scripture.  I want to know him.  You too??

No comments:

Post a Comment