Monday, January 12, 2015

Prayer Shawl Knitting and Crocheting . . .

I have been feeling a little discouraged this week, and I have been praying about my next service project.  At my previous church, we had a lovely prayer shawl ministry.  We made prayer shawls for cancer patients, and I loved it.  I would like to do that again and donate to our local cancer treatment center.  So, who's in??  We will be making prayer shawls to donate to I.U. Health and/or St. Vincent, depending on the number completed.  Below I will list several simple patterns for prayer shawls, including a pattern I wrote as well.  Also, please leave me a comment indicating whether or not you will be joining me.  I will email you contact info for mailing or dropping off finished shawls. 

Before the links,  I am going to list the ONLY prayer shawl yarn I will accept for these projects.  I know this may seem a pain, but it ensures we will actually be able to deliver the completed shawls.  Having worked on many of these in the past, there are very clear guidelines for what is, and is not, accepted.  Also, please do not smoke or keep projects in an area where there is a lot of pet hair.  The centers will NOT accept any completed shawls that have pet hair or smoke smell.  They will toss them, and that's too much hard work to throw away.  I would suggest, if you smoke and/or have pets, to work on your project(s) at a local library and keep in a sealed, extra large ziplock bag.  If you are still concerned, throw the item in your wash/dry (if not wool based) on gentle and low heat.  Seal in bag immediately.  Use ONLY hypoallergenic-fragrance free detergent (such as Arm and Hammer Sensitive, or All Free and Clear). 

Yarn
*Caron Simply Soft
*Bernat Satin
*Red Heart Soft (NO RED HEART SUPER SAVER ALLOWED)
*Premiere Encore Soft
*Vanna's Choice
*Superwash Merino is fine
*Lion Brand Cotton-Ease
*Lion Brand Nature's Choice Organic Cotton
*Lion Brand Homespun

If you can find an exact equivalent store-brand (Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or Jo-Ann), or an exact equivalent at KnitPicks. com, you are welcome to use those as well. 

Color Suggestions:
*Please use neutrals, warm tones, and cool tones.
*Please do NOT use black or black combinations, or neons.

Men love receiving these as well!  Leave off the fringe, use a basic stitch that isn't lacey, and stick to blues and earth tones (again, no black). 

Patterns for Beginners:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70374AD.html    (crochet)

http://www.shawlministry.com/instructions.html

My pattern:

Using any hook size with matching yarn size:
Chain until piece measure 58"-60" inches

Row 1:  Working in 2nd back bump (neither loops) from hook, Half Double Crochet across, chain 2, turn.
Row 2:  Ignoring chain 2, work Half Double Crochet in Back Loop Only in 1st HDC across, chain 2, turn.
Row 3:  Ignoring chain 2, work Half Double Crochet in Front Loop Only in 1st HDC across, chain 2, turn. 
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until desired width (approx. 15"-20", wider is better), ending with Row 3.  Add fringe or leave as is.  This is a lovely knit look pattern.  I love using this with an L hook and Homespun in Barley or Pearl, or with a J Hook and Caron Simply Soft in a neutral color.  This pattern can be worked horizontally as well.  Just follow the measurements guidelines.

Please message me if you have any questions!!  If you are looking for something more challenging, visit your local library and pick up a copy of the Knitted Prayer Shawl Companion or Crochet Prayer Shawl Companion, or search Ravelry.com. 



No comments:

Post a Comment