Monday, December 1, 2014

Compassion Without Compromise: A Review

"Compassion Without Compromise" by Adam T. Barr and Ron Citlau is the best book on current events in the church and culture I have read in a very long time.  It is the conversation that needs to
happen and is captured perfectly by the subtitle:  How the Gospel Frees Us to Love Our Gay Friends Without Losing the Truth.  This book beautifully walks the line of walking in Truth in both grace and love.  Not only does it dig deeper into Scriptures used to show that Truth remains despite cultural trends, but it also does so in a way that is filled with relational understanding as one of the authors has battled with same-sex attraction most of his life, including full immersion in the sin itself. 

This book has a wonderful Q/A section that I think is important to get into the hands of every Pastor and church leader.  It addressed some issues I had never even considered before, and it also showed the sin of the attitudes so prevalent in many churches to the point of abusing and degrading another human being.  This is a perfect reminder that while we in no way change Scripture to suit our own personal experiences and desires, we do not disregard the real conflict, temptation, and struggles that anyone facing such things experiences.

This is a timely resource for a much needed conversation in today's church.  I highly recommend this book to every demographic in the church.  In fact, I had regular discussions with friends, my husband, as well as my children ranging in age from Junior High through High School.  It was excellently written, and I will be passing this along to my Pastor.

No comments:

Post a Comment