Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Be Still My Soul . . .

Sometimes I need a redo.  I just need to take a step back, get some wise counsel, and then be still.  I
am at a place like this in my life right now.  Nothing--absolutely nothing--grounds me better than spending time in God's Word surrounded by the beauty of nature.  My soul quiets, my busy thoughts disappear, and I can hear His voice again--whispering His love, reassurance, and grace into my parched soul.  I write.  I pour out my heart to Him with pen and paper.  It is healing.  Most importantly, I finally listen . . . I shut out the busy thoughts crowding out His Spirit--the arguments that rage on in my mind, casting doubt, distrust, anxiety, chaos into my soul.  I just sit, surrounded by these beautiful trees; breathe in, breathe out . . . be still.  Listen.  Be filled. 

"Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;"  Ps. 37:7a

"Be still, and know that I am God . . . "  Ps. 46:10a

"Be still before the LORD, all mankind, because he has roused himself from his holy dwelling."  Zech. 2:13

"The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."  Ex. 14:14

Be still . . . Be still . . . Be still . . .

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

No comments:

Post a Comment