Friday, May 16, 2014

Silenced: A Review

"Silenced" is the fourth book in the Alaskan Courage series by Dani Pettrey.  As with Dani's previous books in this series, a certain character is honed in on and developed, all while a part of an insuing crime related investigation.  Kayden is the McKenna member highlighted in this book, as well as the now-redeemed Jake Westin. 

I have to say that this has not been one of my favorite series.  I have found the characterization to be a bit on the shallow side, lacking the development I would love to see better fleshed out.  The plot seems to move very quickly, the relationships become quickly intense, and the relationships border on unrealistic.  I also find the mystery to be lacking in "mystery".  I have discovered the culprit pretty quickly in each book in the series, and the resolution seems to move at a snail's pace once it hits a certain point.

If you really love the books in this particular series, I'm sure this one will not disappoint.  I am not quite sold on the characters and, as mentioned above, would love to see more deeper characterization of each.  For instance, we are made aware of Kayden's extreme discipline with food and fitness as a way of coping with the fear that she may develop rheumatoid arthritis.  I found this obsession extreme, and could not seem to connect with Kayden.  I, too, have struggled with similar challenges with obsessive diet restrictions as a way to try and keep the cancer I once had at bay.  However, I would have loved to see her actually deal with this or be confronted by family concerning it.  Maybe that will be dealt with in the next book in the series! 

If you enjoy fast-paced, cliffhangers (pun intended), you will enjoy this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment