Saturday, February 22, 2014

It's that time again . . .

Every year for the past couple years, I have been making pillowcase dresses for www.littledressesforafrica.org.  This year, I am making little shorts for Africa as well.  I have made one pair so far, and they are just the sweetest little things to make.  Though there are many splendid patterns out there, I wanted to link to 2 that I especially love.  Not only are they fantastic for this project, but they are fantastic for your own kiddos as well.  I feel strongly that if it isn't something I would put my own children in, I won't make it for another child.  They deserve the best I can give/make. 

For pillowcase dresses, I have found the pattern provided here and here to be very similar and excellently written for newbies with lovely results.  If you aren't using an actual pillowcase and will be purchasing fabric, I would suggest this one.  If you have experience and want to experiment with the appearance of pillowcase style dresses, I would check out www.themotherhuddle.com and click on the sewing link.  She has a few that are really fun!  The picture of the dresses I made with my daughters and their Girl Scout friend were made using the free pattern provided by the organization.

www.littledressesforafrica.com  (photo from Little Dresses for Africa website)



For shorts, I can give no higher recommendation than the pattern sold by www.danamadeit.com.  It is so well written you will find yourself using it for all your own kiddos as well.  There are many variations of this pattern, so I am posting it as the go to.  The Nancy's Notion site mentioned above has a very simple pattern using men's tee shirts if you are looking for a free pattern that is quite simple.  The pdf pattern I recommend can be found here.  Here's the pair I made this past fall.  Aren't they adorable??



Little Dresses for Africa has all the pertinent contact information if you are planning to send directly to them.  My friends will be sending finished projects to me, and I will be shipping what I hope is a large collection the first week of June!  Sew away . . . . Craft Hope for a child today!

No comments:

Post a Comment