Thursday, February 2, 2012

My Crochet Top 10 List

I am addicted to crocheting, and there are some resources and tools I can't live without.  For you "newbies", I thought I'd share some of those with you as well.  Remember:  a beginner's manual and starter set is sufficient for learning crochet.  The $10 "kits" can be found at Walmart, Meijer, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, etc.  Don't want to buy a kit?  Buy the "Learn to Crochet" book for $5 and a size I hook, plus a skein of size 4 worsted weight yarn in a neutral color.  Then, refer to the internet.  Really, there isn't much money involved when beginning to crochet.  It is a very inexpensive craft as the main tools can be found for next to nothing.

The book resources I will be listing can be found at most libraries as well. 

1.  Best Learn to Crochet Manual: 

"The Happy Hooker" by Debbie Stoller  

2. Best Crochet Resource Books:

"The Complete Photo Guide to Crochet"

"The Crochet Answers Book"

3.  Best Crochet Stitch Guide(s):

"The Harmony Guides:  Crochet Stitches" by Interweave.  This is a 3-volume set, including basic stitches, edgings, and motifs.  It has the best photos AND it includes crochet cables. 

4.  Best Crochet Hooks:

Etimo "Tulip" Crochet Hook Set and Steel Hook Set

5.  Best Natural Fiber Yarn Found at a Craft Store:

Debbie Stoller's "Stitch Nation" line.  Comes in Alpaca blend, wool, washable wool, and bamboo/wool blend.  The colors are stunning as well.

6.  Best Cotton Yarn Found at a Craft Store:

Regular:  "I Love this Cotton!" yarn (Hobby Lobby)
Mercerized:  Paton's "Grace"

7.  Best Acryllic Yarn Found at a Craft Store:

Red Heart Soft is my new favorite acryllic.  I have never liked Red Heart until they came out with this yarn. 

8.  Best On-line Yarn Store for Natural Fibers Namebrand:

Jimmy Beans Wool

9.  Best On-line Yarn Store for Natural Fibers:

Knitpicks

10.  Best Source for Free Crochet Patterns and PDF Store:

Ravelry.com

There you have it!  These are my faves, so there are lots of different opinions out there.  I reference the first 3 books constantly, so those are pretty much my "must-have-no-matter-what/all-you-will-ever-need" titles.  If you can ONLY afford one, go for the "Crochet Answer Book", which is about $10 on-line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment